Ochoco Creek Cleanup Planned – Volunteers Needed
The Rotary Club of Crook County is teaming up with Crook County Parks and Recreation, SOLVE, Crook County, Prineville Disposal and Ochoco Brewing Company to do an in stream cleanup of Ochoco Creek before high water hits. The Rotary Club is adopting Ochoco Creek under SOLVE’s Adopt a River program. CCPRD will help with logistics and collect the trash bags during the cleanup. Prineville Disposal is donating a 10 yard dumpster and Crook County is paying for the dumping fees at the landfill. Following the cleanup, we’ll meet at Ochoco Brewing Company to celebrate our success. There will be complimentary finger foods and happy hour pricing on the brews.
We need your help! Volunteers are needed to do a thorough instream and bankside cleanup on March 24. Our reach of Ochoco Creek to clean up is the 3rd Street Bridge to Gardner Street, within the city of Prineville. More volunteers means we may expand our reach outside of the City. Following the cleanup, we’ll meet at Ochoco Brewing Company to celebrate our success. There will be complimentary finger foods and happy hour pricing on the brews. If you would like to join us, here are a few things to know:
- Registration will begin at noon at Pioneer Park (next to the Court House on 3rd Street), and cleanup work will start at 1:00 p.m.
- Volunteers will work in teams of four, with two people staged on the bank in support and safety of those working in stream. Instream volunteers must be 18 years or older.
- Each team will be assigned a section to focus on. We anticipate it will take about 2 hours to thoroughly clean a section.
- Trash bags, pickers and latex gloves will be provided.
- Bring rubber or other boots with traction for muddy and wet bank conditions, waders and neoprene gloves for those doing instream work, warm clothes, sunscreen, hat, eye protection/sunglasses, walking or wading stick for support.
- Be prepared for changing conditions, including winter weather and varying water levels.
If you are interested in helping out to clean up this creek, please send an email to email@example.com. We would appreciate having names of volunteers and email addresses so we have a way to contact everyone if we need to change the date due to poor conditions. Please respond by March 19th.
Thank you for caring about Ochoco Creek and our community!